Do any of you have that one meal that you just absolutely love? Well mine is Chicken Cordon Bleu. Growing up my mom would make us a special birthday dinner and I always asked for Chicken Cordon Bleu. Now she would go and make up the chicken and deep fry it, which tasted amazing but was not so healthy. Now that I’m married I can make this meal whenever I want and not just for birthdays. However, I hate getting splattered with grease when I cook so I set out to tweak the Chicken Cordon Bleu I grew up on. Instead of deep-frying it I decided to bake it which happens to make it a little healthier also.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Makes 4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 4 slices of deli ham
- 4 slices of deli Swiss Cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Several wooden toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 350o.
- Take you chicken breast and you’ll want to butterfly it and tenderize with a mallet.
- Take a slice of deli meat and a slice of Swiss cheese and place them one on top of the other on the tenderized chicken breast.
- Start at the end of the chicken breast with the cheese and ham and roll it all into a log.
- Use your toothpicks to hold the chicken roll together. (I use about 3 per roll)
- Now set up three separate bowls in an assembly line. The first one for the flower, then the next one is for the egg and water that you will whisk together, and the last one is for the bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.
- Dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg wash, and then the bread crumbs making sure it is always evenly coated.
- Place you 4 chicken rolls on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake chicken for 25 minutes exactly in an oven.
- Serve with side of choice, mine is this amazing asparagus recipe from For the Love of __!
Let me know you’re absolute favorite meals in the comments below! I always love finding new recipes!